Sunday 8 July 2012

Another day, Another $

Time for the weekly update from San Francisco :)

The powers of persuasion and an accent do truly work wonders for us J1ers at times, and as the saying goes another day another dollar, I have managed to talk my way into a second job in a cafe in North Beach...... Have I ever worked as a waiter before? The simple answer is no but to my new boss I have several years work experience in the restaurant trade. The cafe is a hip little place with some great jazz music bopping from the speakers, it's a great little environment to be working in. I do however feel that working in the restaurant ,trade in America is not all that it's cracked up to be. Sure the tips are great and you meet some very diverse characters, but coming to the half way marker of this J1, I am getting the urge to want to quit and go explore America and party on for the final month but we will have to wait and see how the bank balance holds up!!!!!

I took my first steps as a proper tourist in the city late last week and ventured out onto the bay on a boat tour with Grainne, to say it was an experience is an understatement. We took to the water like ducks as we thought it was a great idea to sit on the corner of the front of the boat. Turning down the option of a blanket was my first mistake, the second was wearing a wife beater!!! The first wave hit hard and fast and we were two drowned rats but having the craic and the views of the bay were amazing and going under the golden gate bridge was amazing. Taking the boat back around Alcatraz was a bit of an eerie experience, this island with a prison. It is somewhere we have yet to venture inside of but the time is coming.

Berkeley has fast become an Irish hot spot with the clubs becoming like an Irish night club, I think the bouncers may be getting a little bit tired of the Irish antics, and for this blogger there was one minor little incident with a pool queue that lead to an apology, if only the blackouts would resist but then again you only live once and it the summer of fun

Liberal, fast paced, the rock and roll jet set lifestyle all words I could use to describe this amazing city. Sometimes I think I'm taking this summer for granted but it's the times when I am rushing to catch the bart to get back to berkeley that something in the city catches my attention and I realize how lucky I am to be living in the city.

I recently saw a quote which read

"The coldest winter I ever spent was a summer in San Francisco"

It really is true but for this summer dreamer, the dream just keeps getting better

Until next time

:)

No comments:

Post a Comment